RTM Engineering Consultants employs dedicated sustainability professionals who leverage in-depth experience in a variety of markets to consult on and deliver sustainable and energy-efficient designs.
In an effort to achieve greener, more efficient buildings, LEED certifications offer a number of ways to earn points in various categories on the scorecard. The Energy and Atmosphere category contains certain prerequisites, such as an energy reduction by 5 percent in regard to the plumbing portion, that must be met. This means that these updates must be completed before LEED points can begin to accrue.
Using renewable solar and biomass energy through the use of solar thermal panels, biomass-fired boilers or both to heat domestic water is also an option to earn LEED points in the Energy and Atmosphere category. We have also found that the two best ways to accrue LEED points through plumbing in this category is by:
- Using condensing combustion water heaters
- Metering specific energy-use categories such as water heating, laundry, food services, etc.
Other ways to accrue LEED points include:
- Outdoor water use reduction by 50 percent: 2 points
- Indoor water use reduction by 45 percent: 5 points
- Water metering (sub-metering): 1 point
- Optimized energy performance, plumbing related: 1 point
- Renewable energy production: 2 points
- Advanced energy metering: 1 point
As part of RTM’s philosophy, we provide proven solutions to reduce energy usage and costs for building owners nationwide.